Last year I wrote:
I may be just as insufferable as I was last year, but dammit, I think I produced some pretty good art in 2014. If 2013 was the year I “actually took on some semblance of a recognizable style“, then 2014 was about figuring out how to work my goddamn camera.
Today I venture to say I think I’m right again, on both counts – that I’m no less insufferable and that I produced some pretty good art in 2015. If 2014 was about figuring how to work my goddamn camera, then 2015 was about upgrading to a real!live DSLR. I sure as hell don’t miss my point-and-shoot.
- I stage-kittened for the Vermont Burlesque Festival
- Josh did a freaky Simon Petrikov cosplay
- I joined (and took a hiatus from) Shaped by Style
- I had the best birthday ever, which included my biggest tattoo yet
- I formally launched my writing blog, Beginning Our Dissent
- I joined my haunted house’s writing team
- I discovered Nora Finds, the best vintage blog this (or any) side of the Mississippi
- I saw Loreena McKennitt live
- Kristina made me the best skirt I’ve ever owned
- My first article for Bustle was published, to a very warm reception
- I purchased my first piece of deadstock
- I ate lots of Thai food, drank lots of Manhattans, went to lots of cabarets, and read lots of good books
- I didn’t cut my hair even once (seriously, compare this to this)
- I came perilously close to finishing my short-story collection!
This year I’ll actually finish that collection. I’ll write many more articles for Bustle (I have, like, three in the works right this moment…), and my first piece for Caboodle Magazine will come out this spring. I’ll keep entering Glimmer Train‘s emerging writers’ contest until I win, dammit. I will grow my hair until I am a mermaid with split ends that start at my waist. I will visit oceans and cities and always crawl back to my home between mountains. I will perform on many stages in many degrees of undress. I will eat more Thai food and drink more Manhattans, and suckle the cherry stem when I’m done. I will deface pretty dresses with drool.
I will hunt down beauty in every corner, and I’ll raise my Manhattan to it each time I catch a slice.