For the past month I’ve had an almost-sore throat that keeps threatening to bloom. At this point I’d just rather get sick and be done with it. Give me heaven or hell – just get me out of purgatory, ya know? I don’t have much to say today, so I’ll draw on today’s witchy skies and share some of my favorite stories from reddit’s original horror forum, NoSleep.
My taste in horror runs more to the spine-tingling than the overtly grotesque. If you’re craving a scare that settles in your lungs and slithers into your lizard brain by night – well, you’ll enjoy these.
- I’ve been getting strange letters from the St. Louis prison
- World’s Best School Psychologist
- An Open Letter to the Woman at Walmart
- Both my parents were surgeons and I used to talk to furniture
- Her Name was Emma
- As a child, I Wanted to be a Mermaid
- Good god, just how old am I?
- It isn’t Satan. It isn’t monsters. It isn’t the government. It isn’t a serial killer. It isn’t aliens. It isn’t demons. It isn’t nuclear. It isn’t solar storms.
- The first thing you should know about me is I’m not one of those kinds of cops.
- The Whistlers (warning: super long, and you will get sucked in, and you won’t realize hours have gone by)
- I Was Born an Ill Omen
- I have two bodies – does anyone else?
- If Hell exists, I found the gate
- I hear a studio audience at all times, and they’re getting creepier
- My best friend never happened
- My Grandma lived under the house (this legitimately terrified me, which is hard to do)
And finally –
- Real hunger can’t be fed. I know that now – this is my favorite short story of all time. Not “favorite on NoSleep”. Favorite. Ever. It’s the thing I reread when I want to remember why I write, and it never fails to reignite whatever’s flickered.